The building that occupies the Greenwich Center for Hope & Renewal at 237 Taconic Road was erected in 1846 and was originally a Methodist Chapel. In 1895 the building was purchased by 3 members of Stanwich Church and donated back to Stanwich to be used as a neighborhood Community Center. Less than 30 years later in 1923, Stanwich Church’s steeple was struck by lightning and sadly the church burned to the ground. The Church was located down the road and needed to relocate quickly and moved into the Community Center while they searched for a new church property. Stanwich Church ended up staying at the 237 Taconic location another 83 years before moving into their new location at 202 Taconic road in 2006.
In 2007, Stanwich Church leadership had a vision to see this previous church building be used as a space for faith-friendly professional counseling for the pastoral needs of their church community. They acted on this vision and founded the Greenwich Center for Hope & Renewal. A small group of dedicated Stanwich members formed the original Board of Directors and established the Center as a 501(c)(3) to serve the greater Greenwich community seeking counseling. The GCHR is supported today by the generosity of local houses of worship and benefactors, of which Stanwich Church continues to be a sustaining partner, with accountability to it’s Board of Elders. The Center provides a private, retreat-like, country setting for our key areas of service; Counseling, Renewal Groups, Training and Supervision.